Welcome

Welcome! I'm so glad you stopped by today! If you're inspired by what you see, I invite you to follow along via one (or more) of the options on the side bar below.


Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Inspired by... lemon and rice

 

Happy Wednesday, everyone!

 

Today I have a money-saving tip for you and a recipe – yum!

First, the tip!

 

Full_Table_Shot_Blur

I like to decorate with candles and I have these pretty blue swirl design holders that my mom gave me one year.  I usually fill them with water and use a floating candle, but it's been so hot this year, I just knew I'd have to be re-filling them every other day.

Not going to happen.

So I decided to get some pink glass gems to fill them with and nestle a candle down inside.

Pretty!

Only problem is, one {little} bag of those gems runs $2.99-$3.99 and I would need 5+ to do the job. $15+ in gems?

Not going to happen!

 

Rice to the rescue!

CloseUp_Rice

I bought ONE bag of pretty pink gems... filled the containers with white rice to about an inch from the top and used the gems on top around the candle.

CloseUp_Small

CloseUp_Large

When the candles are lit, the pink and lavender gems sparkle!

You can see the rice on the sides where the swirls are cut out, but I still think it looks pretty.

What do you think?

Other inexpensive ideas include: cracked peas or red hots for St. Valentine's Day!

Full_Table_Shot

I have to thank Darby, over at Life with the Hawley's for inspiring me to share this tip with you.

Here's her pretty tablescape.

DSC05112_thumb[4]

I just love the pattern on that wine glass and her use of raffia on the mason jar!

Thanks, Darby!

 

Okay!

Now for the recipe!

Love lemon?

I do!

A sweet friend lent me her Kitchen Aid mixer (love) and I've been looking for excuses to bake!

Then Cheryl, over at Tidy Mom posted this:

lemon5-title

... and really got my taste buds salivating!

Here's my contribution to the summer lemon craze:

Baked

Lemon {Sour Cream} Coffee Cake

Ingredients:

1/2 cup butter, softened

1 cup sugar

2 eggs

1 tsp vanilla

3 T lemon juice, freshly squeezed

1 tsp lemon peel, grated

2 cups flour

1/2 package (3oz) lemon pudding mix, instant

1 tsp baking soda

1 tsp baking powder

1 cup sour cream

Directions:

Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each. Stir in vanilla, lemon juice and lemon peel. Combine the flour, pudding mix, baking soda and baking powder; add to the creamed mixture alternately with the sour cream. Beat just until combined. Pour (or scoop, batter may be a bit thick- mine was) into greased Bundt pan and bake at 350 for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand 15 minutes before removing from pan. Transfer to wire rack and cool completely.

Slice and enjoy!

Slices_Top

I didn't add icing to mine. I don't have much of sweet tooth and this was sweet enough!  There are some great icing recipes on line if you want to add icing to yours.

I think I might add 1 tsp of lemon extract next time.

Cake_CloseUp

What's your favorite lemon, cake or summer recipe?

 

Blessings,

Blog_Signature

 

Sharing inspiration here:

Somewhat Simple HookingupwithHoH

4 comments:

  1. Oooh! I'd love a piece of your coffee cake right now with my coffee! I've been having a craving for cake lately. Looks delicious! Thanks for sharing your recipe.
    -Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love lemon and this looks so moist and delicious. I'm going to try this. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love lemon and pound cake, this looks like a great recipe. Thanks for sharing. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I love this idea and the rice against those blue-swirl candle holders set such a beautiful contrast! And the lemon coffee cake recipe looks deelish and easy... perfect for summer. Thanks so much for sharing these wonderful inspiring ideas and for your loving comments on my beachy tablescpe. Always a pleasure to hear from you. Have a great week!~Poppy

    http://withadashofcolor.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

If you read something here that inspired you, I’d love to hear about it. Please know I appreciate every comment! Thanks so much for stopping by! Blessings, June