Welcome

Welcome! I'm so glad you stopped by today! If you're inspired by what you see, I invite you to follow along via one (or more) of the options on the side bar below.


Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Inspired by . . . the rhythm of the rain

On Monday, Laura was writing about kids grumbling because of one less hour of sleep.  I wasn’t grumbling about that, but I hadn’t been too keen on waking to another grey day and rain. The rest of Laura’s post convicted me and I realized that my recent attitude about the weather had been raining on my JOY parade.

I needed to stop the sin of discontentment that was eroding my JOY. I needed to get into the rhythm of the rain.

 

Rain4

 

Sin. I know it’s not a word that any of us like to use when referring to our own behavior. But there it is. Call it what you like, but I know in my spirit that my grumblings and discontentment about the weather is sin. Plain.and.simple.

C.H. Spurgeon warned of thinking lightly of sin. And during this time of Lent when there is an added focus on self-examination, we might be tempted to say, “Is it not a little one?”

Do not the little foxes spoil the grapes?

Will not continual drippings wear away stones?

 

Rain1

 

Sometimes we know what we are doing, or that the attitude we have is wrong, but need some added incentive to do something about it. We may even confess our sin, but not be repentant {turn away and go in the other direction}. I mean, why shouldn’t I be grumpy about the rain? It’s producing gobs of mud, washing out our roads, keeping me inside these four walls, the list of excuses goes on.

Keith Potter says, “our confession will be thin and hollow unless we understand how great and holy God is. We are forever underestimating the seriousness of sin and its effects, making us unlike God and unfit for His good fellowship.”

 

AllSin_Spurgeon

 

How do we understand how great and holy God is? By reading His word.

This rain, it has a rhythm, just like everything else in life. And if I want to be in the right rhythm with the rain, and with God, I need to know and understand what God’s word says.

So what does God’s word say about rain?

 

Rain2

 

Except for the flood, which was clearly not a good thing for those living on earth at the time, nearly every reference to God sending the rain is a blessing.

A blessing.

After reading through over 100 verses about rain I was feeling just a little bit of what Job must have felt when God spoke to him out of the whirlwind.


Who are you to question my wisdom with your ignorant, empty words?

Now stand up straight and answer the questions I ask you.

Were you there when I made the world? If you know so much, tell me about it. Job 38:2-4

 

Here’s the deal, it doesn’t matter if I see the rain as a blessing or not. God doesn’t make mistakes.

I want to be humble enough, patient enough, and faithful enough to trust Him.

 

Rain3

 

Rain or shine, cold air or warm, grey skies or blue.

How about you?

 

Blessings,

June

 

Sharing inspiration here:

#GiveMeGrace


Renewed Daily - Recommendation Saturday

26 comments:

  1. I'm with you little sister. Your words humble, and inspire me...always.

    ♡♡♡

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes and Amen. Something I am working on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. God doesn't make mistakes! Maybe we believe it, and deeply. Thanks for encouraging.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was just a lovely addition to all that I've been reading on those Israelites. Beautiful, June. A favorite read from the week. Happy Friday. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. We're all here together, my friend. Praying for you today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, deeply! Thank you for stopping by, I'm so thankful these words encouraged you today!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love how God speaks cohesively through His word and His children to teach us, grow us and unite us! Happy Friday to you too! and thanks for the tweet love :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. June, Your images of rain are truly blessings to me. The weather forecast here is for rain tomorrow, and I will follow your lead and embrace the day - and perhaps even make a few pictures. Love how you captured the light coming through the droplets. And as always you speak to my heart. I am fairly good about recognizing and admitting my sins, but not so very good about changing my ways. I am not able to recall Bible verses very well, but I do remember those by Paul wondering why do I do what I know i should not do? I pray and fill my heart and my head with the the wisdom of friends like you - and then I start all over again and try once more.

    ReplyDelete
  9. June, this is so beautiful. I am glad you left a comment at Barbie's cuz I came here to visit. It has been awhile since I came here. We have had far more rain than usual so the feelings you describe were becoming more real than I chose to admit. I had lived in the US Northwest for many years and was comparing South Texas to that part of the country. But...along God's lines of rain being a blessing, after one year in Oregon, I realized that if it were not for the rain, the landscape would not be so beautifully green. A blessing! So I began to appreciate the rain. And I have here too.
    Thanks.
    Caring through Christ, ~ linda

    ReplyDelete
  10. June, I am so glad I was linked up after you over at Shelly's today. I love your words here (and I needed to hear them.)

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's in Romans, " I don't do the good I want to do; instead, I do the evil that I do not want to do." Paul goes on to say, "What an unhappy man I am! Who will rescue me from this body that is taking me to death?" The answer? "Thanks be to God, who does this through our Lord Jesus Christ!" I'm so glad you remember this verse, Donna, I think it is one of the most encouraging verses in scripture. If Paul felt this way, well, that encourages me greatly!
    We all fail, but remember, His mercies are new every morning!


    I wonder if you would email me {inspiredbyjune@gmail.com} with your email address, I have something I would like to send you :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for stopping by, Linda! Yes, there are many blessings that come with the rain. I was reminded of that again today as I worked clearing flower beds. The sage, coneflowers and lantana are already starting to come back.


    A blogger friend in Oregon mentioned how they've had almost no rain - I guess we've been getting it all, lol! But God has a purpose in all of this, even the crazy weather patterns. Our part is to pray and trust. Have a blessed weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was just swimming around over at your place, Lyli! So good to see you here!

    ReplyDelete
  14. He doesn't make mistakes! AMEN to that. Love this line, too: "How do we understand how great and holy God is? By reading His word." Such wisdom there! Thank so much for the beautiful images and the reminder that all things that come from God are blessings for our good - even the rain. Blessings to you and yours. (Visiting from Renewed Daily).

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful photos, June, and wonderful words.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for stopping by, Heather! I've been poking around your FB page and your blog and have found a lot of inspiration in both places! Have a blessed Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you, friend. I'm always blessed to see you here!

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's messy at my house too when it rains, but so necessary to put up with all the mud because we need every drop of rain here in the desert of AZ! Great reflections of sin and rain.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for stopping by, Mary! I lived in AZ for 15 years, so I know *exactly* what you mean!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks so much for your encouragement. Your site is just beautiful and very inspiring. Keep up the great work.

    ReplyDelete
  21. These photos are majestic and the message here resonates to me. Hello dear Chelsea. It's been a while since I've visited your blog again. Forgive me. Well, my loss really. You're as inspiring as always. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hello again :) It's nice to see you here, Lux. Thank you for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Listening to rain on a tin roof is a wonderful pleasure, especially if it has been dry.

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  24. I don't know how it is in Melbourne, but the rain here has a different sound depending upon the season. It's funny that way. I love the sound of a summer rain. Winter, not so much. But there is beauty to be found it both. Thanks for stopping by, Stewart!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I came to your site from a comment on another blog. oh how I needed to read this today

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm so glad to meet you, Janel! Thank you for clicking over, I hope you were encouraged and inspired! Have a blessed Easter!

    ReplyDelete

If you read something here that inspired you, I’d love to hear about it. Please know I appreciate every comment! Thanks so much for stopping by! Blessings, June