Welcome

Welcome! I'm so glad you stopped by today! If you're inspired by what you see, I invite you to follow along via one (or more) of the options on the side bar below.


Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Inspired by... Basil

 

 

I have a recipe for you today, my friends.

And tomorrow I'll show you (one) of the things I've been working on this week!

I stopped by a friends house the other day to drop off one of The Books and she gifted me with several clippings from her Basil and Rosemary plants.

Basil_Plant

(the leaves on her plants were MUCH bigger, these are the plants on growing in my AeroGarden)

Two of my favorite smells in.the.world! Surely the interior of my car was reminiscent of the heavenly gardens that day! It was all I could do not to ditch my plans and run home to my kitchen!

When I finally did arrive home, I promptly made this divine Pesto Sauce!

Pesto_2

Pesto Sauce

Source: Cuisinart Manual

Ingredients:

2 large garlic cloves, peeled

3 ounces imported Parmesan cheese, at room temperature, cut into 1-inch cubes

2 cups fresh basil leaves (OR 2 cups Italian parsley leaves OR spinach leaves with 2T dried basil), firmly packed

1 tsp salt

1/4 cup pine nuts (OR walnuts)

1 cup olive oil

Directions:

Using the metal blade in your food processor: with the machine running, mince the garlic by dropping it through the feed tube. Add the cheese and chop it by turning the machine on and off about 10 times. Add the basil, salt and nuts and mince them by turning the machine on and off about 8 times. With the machine running, drizzle the oil through the feed tube in a thin, steady stream. Process the mixture until it is well blended.

Makes enough for 6 servings of pasta.

Note: This sauce keeps for months if covered with a thin coat of oil and refrigerated. It can also be frozen. Freeze it in plastic ice-cube trays, then transfer the frozen cubes to an airtight plastic bag. Defrost in amounts as needed.

Pesto_CloseUp

Pesto

It's been a while since I've had fresh pesto and cannot believe how yummy this is! I have eaten it at every meal (except breakfast – although this would be good with eggs...) since making it! I believe I will start a basil nursery so I never have to buy store-bought pesto again!

I like this recipe because of the variations (see the Or's above) and the fact that you don't have to toast the pine nuts. (I'm lazy that way)

But I'm not too lazy to get out my food processor.  I know a lot of people groan at the thought. I keep mine on the floor in my pantry, and really, people, this took all of 10 minutes to make.

Seriously!

Did I mention this was DIVINE?

As you've probably guessed, Basil is one of my favorite herbs.

What's yours?

 

Blessings,

Blog_Signature

 

 

 

Sharing inspiration here:

8 comments:

  1. A great recipe and your pictures are so inspiring I can smell the basil. It is all so tempting, I need to go get some basil today. Sadly my one plant didn't fare well in our wet spring, so I'm off to the farmers market.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I will try your recipe with walnuts:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am growing basil this year and I made this exact pesto! VERY good, indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmm I just love pesto with my pasta.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi June,
    Just wanted you to know I saw your post and also got a no-reply e-mail. It must be a blogger thing, go figure! THANKS!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi June! I've been looking for a good pesto recipe. I'm marking this one. I love basil and have a bunch I need to pick and use up. Thanks for this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love pesto and homemade sauces are just way better than store bought, by far. Thanks for sharing yours.

    My blog turns 1 today and I'm hosting a giveaway on my blog as a way to say thank you for your supports in the past year. Please come over to check it out if you're interested. http://utry.it

    ReplyDelete
  8. I bet this tasted great! I love pesto. Freezing it in ice cube trays is such a good idea.

    ReplyDelete

If you read something here that inspired you, I’d love to hear about it. Please know I appreciate every comment! Thanks so much for stopping by! Blessings, June