Welcome

Welcome! I'm so glad you stopped by today! If you're inspired by what you see, I invite you to follow along via one (or more) of the options on the side bar below.


Thursday, August 18, 2011

Inspired by... creativity

 

Solomon said, "What has been will be, and what has been done is what will be done, and there is nothing new under the sun." (Ecclesiastes 1:9)

 

An appropriate quote, I think, for today's topic of Sunburst Mirrors. "Ugh!" you say? "Another sunburst mirror. They're all over blog land." Well, yes, and truth be told I hadn't planned on making one, but...

 

I was inspired.  I'll share my inspiration in a minute, but first a little history.

 

The first recorded sunburst mirror in history (sources say) belonged to King Louis XIV of France, who reigned from 1658-1715.  He delighted in looking into it, seeing his face in the center and the suns rays expanding out from his face! (Solomon has a few things to say about this type of vanity as well.)

 

Honestly, I never thought these mirrors were my style (I'm not big into sun and moon motifs), until I saw Shelley's version over at Crazy Wonderful.

IMG_1918-edited

Wow! Big and chunky and I just love the texture the wood slats bring to her creation! I thought this would look great above our fireplace. (her tutorial is crazy wonderful!) But, alas, the hubby did not agree and so my (brief) romance with the sunburst mirror was ended.

 

However, as we've already mentioned, these mirrors keep showing up all around blog land. And I can understand why. With prices ranging from $70 at Target to over $6000 at some antique shops, these are a DIYer's dream! And while the price is a good incentive to DIY, the open door to creativity just begs to be walked through!

 

Here are just a few examples:

DSC_0543-550x670

I love this one made with poster board! by The Nester.

P1011159

Bev's creativity, over at Flamingo Toes, is astounding!

Crafts-2011-214-1024x768

This one you might have seen recently. It's made from a candleholder. By Leanne over at Organize & Decorate Everything.  I love the way she used little mirrors at the end of the rays!

Quill_519

I just had to show you this one (for you, mom!) It's made with porcupine quills! Not a DIY model. This baby sells for over $500! (sorry, mom) But isn't it fabulous!

100_9480-1

Okay, this creation by Stephanie Lynn at Under the Table and Dreaming, is getting us closer to my version of the sunburst mirror. Stephanie's mirror is made out of cereal boxes!!! Love.

 

There are a lot more I could show you. The creativity in blog land is inspiring! But I do want to share MY mirror with you, so let's get on with it, already.

 

As I mentioned, I hadn't planned on making one.  However, I had an over abundance of...

Straws ...these straws in a drawer (someone keeps bringing them home from that mermaid (or is is a siren?) shop) and I just hated throwing them away. I was determined to make something with them, but I wasn't sure what... until I opened my cosmetics drawer and saw...

Sunburst_Mirror_Right

Yup, that is the top of a cosmetics container. Perfect, I thought!  I cut the straws at an angle and glued them to a cardboard circle, painted them and then glued the mirror on.

Sunburst_Mirror_Left

Sunburst_Mirror_Straight

I think it came out kinda cute.

 

What do you think?

Have you re purposed or up cycled anything recently? I'd love to hear!

 

Blessings,

Blog_Signature

 

 

 

Sharing inspiration here:

Tip Junkie handmade projects

8 comments:

  1. That is really fabulous. I love how little it is. I don't think I could handle a big sunburst, but one that size is just right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never would have guessed they were straws!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. holy cow.. loving all those ideas!! Wish I had more wall space!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need to make one of these mirrows..thanks

    Chris

    http://turnedgypsy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would have never guessed those were straws. Great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much for featuring my mirror along with these great ideas!! I love how yours turned out too - the straws look so great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks June for including the cereal box starburst mirror in your inspiration line up. Your mirror turned out great and I love the creativity! I have shared this on my fb page today. Thanks again and have a wonderful week! Stephanie Lynn

    ReplyDelete

If you read something here that inspired you, I’d love to hear about it. Please know I appreciate every comment! Thanks so much for stopping by! Blessings, June