Welcome

Welcome! I'm so glad you stopped by today! If you're inspired by what you see, I invite you to follow along via one (or more) of the options on the side bar below.


Monday, March 20, 2017

Inspired by . . . do the next thing

Sometimes I get stuck.

Overwhelmed by all there is to do or all I want to do, I end up doing nothing.

Sometimes nothing can be good. Like when it amounts to rest, stillness before the Lord. But sometimes doing nothing amounts to unproductive [mindless] activity. This is not good.

I hate days when I can't focus and go from one mindless activity to the other. You, too?

The balance between rest/stillness and mindless activity can be challenging. Especially when physical circumstances force you to slow down.



Every day, hundreds of times a day, we all make the choice to do the next thing. The motivation behind our choice is what makes it mindful or mindless.

Often we're simply responding to basic needs. Our bodies need to be fed and cared for. Financial obligations met. Houses cleaned. Yet even within these tasks, there are choices.

I know how easy it is to fall prey to allowing Life to dictate my choices. Getting into reaction mode, rather than being pro-active. Because it's easier when Life is coming at you full force. But easier is often not better.

So how do we keep our motivation pure and make the right choices when we do the next thing?
You keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on You, because he trusts in You. (Isa 26:3)

The simple answer, which isn't simple at all, is to keep God at the forefront of all we do. I'm learning that this is more about establishing a habitual discipline than it is about taking chunks of time out of the day.  We don't have to stop and go into our prayer closet for 30 minutes every time we need to make a decision. Certainly, there are major decisions that require significant prayer. But when we are conscious to involve God in our everyday routine, simply pausing to acknowledge that we need Him throughout the day, we will find ourselves breathing prayers for guidance naturally. [click to tweet]

He has given us the Holy Spirit to direct and guide us. So, why do we mostly ignore this precious gift!? Imagine running on the power of the Holy Spirit throughout the day rather than your own? I expect that sounds good to a few weary souls out there. I know it sounds good to me!
But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things and bring to your remembrance all that I have said to you. (Joh 14:26)

These breath-prayers have been a challenge and a focus for me this year. As with any spiritual discipline, they take time and I'm nowhere close to having this all figured out. But every time I remember to seek Him and acknowledge my need for His presence during the day I am blessed and my choices and actions honor Him.
Likewise the Spirit helps us in our weakness. For we do not know what to pray for as we ought, but the Spirit Himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words. (Rom 8:26)
How about you? Are you mindful of God during the day? Do you acknowledge your need for Him in the daily minutia of Life? 


Blessings,


Sharing inspiration here:
Testimony Tuesday, #TellHisStory,
Faith On Fire, Grace & Truth,
Inspire Me Monday, RaRa Link Up, Intentional Tuesday,
#WordswithWinter, Titus 2 Tuesday, Thoughtful Thursdays,
Encourage Me Monday, Wholehearted Wednesday,
Women with Intention Wednesdays, Word Filled Wednesday,
#GiveMeGrace, Sitting Among Friends, #Glimpsesofhisbeauty
Counting My Blessings, Grace Moments

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you read something here that inspired you, I’d love to hear about it. Please know I appreciate every comment! Thanks so much for stopping by! Blessings, June