Welcome

Welcome! I'm so glad you stopped by today! If you're inspired by what you see, I invite you to follow along via one (or more) of the options on the side bar below.


Saturday, August 20, 2011

Inspired by... DIY

 

I'm so excited to share with you the result of a project I've been working on for the last couple of months. (You could actually do this in a day or two, I just worked on it slowly, as I had the time)

I saw this skirt in a catalog a while back and absolutely loved it!

Velvet_Lace_Tiered_Skirt

But at over $100, I knew it wasn't going to happen!  My friend, M.E. is a quilter and is addicted to goes to Joann's quite a bit.  After longing for this skirt every time a copy of the catalog came in the mail, I finally decided, "You know what! I can make this!"  The next time my friend went to Joann's, I tagged along. Since I was determined to purchase only fabric that was inexpensive or on sale, I expected this to be one of many trips over the next few months. As it turned out, we were there for 3 hours picking out fabric!!! (Don't feel sorry for her, she was having as much fun as I was!)

Bottom line?  I got everything I needed to make this skirt for under $50! Score! I couldn't believe it either!

We picked out a Burda skirt pattern that was designed with one tier to use as our guide. M.E. helped me figure out how to cut the pattern (yes the pattern!) to make a pattern for the other tiers. Once we figured that out, it was a cake walk.  Well, sort-a.

Are you excited to see how it turned out?

Okay, but before I show you, I think I should mention that I haven't sewn since I was in the 8th grade. (like 100 years ago)

Ta-Da!

Tiered_Skirt_Standing2

I am SO pleased with how it turned out...

Tiered_Skirt_Standing1

I just love it!

Tiered_Skirt_Close_Up

Yes, all five tiers are gathered... wasn't that fun! Not!

Tiered_Skirt_CloseUp

But worth every minute! 

I just love the feminine touch the lace adds at the bottom of the skirt.

So, what do you think of my version?

Have you created a knock-off lately? (doesn't have to be clothing) that you're excited about sharing?

Post your link in the comments section, I'd love to hear about it!

 

Blessings,

Blog_Signature

 

Sharing inspiration here:

  Photobucket Tip Junkie handmade projects

button

4 comments:

  1. I think it looks wonderful! You did an amazing job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the different shades of purple! You did a fabulous job!

    I would love if you would come share with my week long link party at The Crafty Blog Stalker! http://thecraftyblogstalker.blogspot.com/2011/08/blog-stalking-thursday-4.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your skirt turned out beautifully! I really love all of those shades of purple together. I'm just starting out with sewing and have attempted a few skirts, but none have turned out yet. Seeing yours makes me want to keep trying. Thanks!

    http://growcreative.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

If you read something here that inspired you, I’d love to hear about it. Please know I appreciate every comment! Thanks so much for stopping by! Blessings, June