Welcome

Welcome! I'm so glad you stopped by today! If you're inspired by what you see, I invite you to follow along via one (or more) of the options on the side bar below.


Sunday, April 29, 2012

Inspired by... a prayer

 

"...so that I may always live near the cross."

The Valley of Vision, pg 88

 

This prayer from The Valley of Vision, a collection of Puritan prayers and meditations, inspired me to question:

At the foot of the cross... am I a bystander, a friend, a lover or a worshipper?

 

Exterior_waterstainedframe And he said to all, “If anyone would come after me,

let him deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me. (Luke 9:23 ESV)

 

Not that my true position in Christ ever changes, but who am I at the foot of the cross today?

A bystander? I've never denied Christ verbally as Peter did. But how often have I denied Him by my actions? How often have I stood as a bystander with indifference, rather than compassion? with apathy, rather than passion?

God forgive me!

A friend? Yes, Jesus is my friend. He knows my pain, my joy, my sorrow, my failures, my dreams. He will guide and comfort me through it all, if I turn to Him. Jesus offers us hope. But friendship is a two-way street. How have I been a friend to Jesus?

 

Rose I am a rose of Sharon, a lily of the valleys. (Song of Solomon 2:1)

 

A lover? Jesus, the Lover of my soul. Who loves me, me, sinful, wretched, unworthy, me. Who loves me more than He?

None.

How do I show my love in return?

A worshipper? What better place to worship, exalt, lift on high the name of Jesus than at His blood stained feet. The import of what He hath done for me threatens to remove the breath from my body, and cast me prostrate, sobbing in broken thankfulness. How often do I allow myself to truly ponder the brokenness of Christ?

Not often enough.

 

Interior_Hope He was pierced for our transgressions; he was crushed for our iniquities;
upon him was the chastisement that brought us peace, and with his wounds we are healed. (Isaiah 53:5)

 

Who am I at the foot of the cross today?

 

Blessings,

Blog_Signature

Photo inspiration:

Church: textured with Kim's "Water Stained Frame"

Rose: SOOC

Church interior: textured with Bonnie's Hope

 

 

Sharing inspiration here:

6 comments:

  1. Hi June, this is thought provoking! I may pray every day, wake up early to be with Him and study His word, but I still can be a bystander if i don't let His Word CHANGE me! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow beautiful words very inspiring thanks for sharing.

    Mary,MI

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I think about the foot of the cross, I think about forgiveness and a place of surrender. I never thought about all the other responses at the foot of the cross. What a thoughtful post. Thank you!
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great shots, beautiful photos..Thank's for sharing:)

    Visiting for FPM- hope you can stop by:)

    http://www.harpsterschronicle.com/2012/04/kindergarten-here-i-come.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. So good to be reminded of Who He is, and of His unfailing love that will draw us back to the foot of the Cross! Well shared! My first time here from Katie's site ... thank you for the encouragement! Have a blessed week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very inspirational! Beautiful photos. :)

    ReplyDelete

If you read something here that inspired you, I’d love to hear about it. Please know I appreciate every comment! Thanks so much for stopping by! Blessings, June