Welcome

Welcome! I'm so glad you stopped by today! If you're inspired by what you see, I invite you to follow along via one (or more) of the options on the side bar below.


Thursday, February 5, 2015

Inspired by . . . a friend to man

 

 



AlongTheLightedPath_Kinkade

 

A HOUSE BY THE SIDE OF THE ROAD

SAM WALTER ROSS


There are hermit souls that live withdrawn
In the place of their self-content;
There are souls like stars, that dwell apart,
In a fellowless firmament;
There are pioneer souls that blaze their paths
Where highways never ran-
But let me live by the side of the road
And be a friend to man.

Let me live in a house by the side of the road,
Where the race of men go by-
The men who are good and the men who are bad,
As good and as bad as I.
I would not sit in the scorner's seat,
Or hurl the cynic's ban-
Let me live in a house by the side of the road
And be a friend to man.

I see from my house by the side of the road,
By the side of the highway of life,
The men who press with the ardor of hope,
The men who are faint with the strife.
But I turn not away from their smiles nor their tears,
Both parts of an infinite plan-
Let me live in a house by the side of the road
And be a friend to man.

I know there are brook-gladdened meadows ahead
And mountains of wearisome height;
That the road passes on through the long afternoon
And stretches away to the night.
But still I rejoice when the travelers rejoice.
And weep with the strangers that moan,
Nor live in my house by the side of the road
Like a man who dwells alone.

Let me live in my house by the side of the road-
It's here the race of men go by.
They are good, they are bad, they are weak, they are strong,
Wise, foolish- so am I;
Then why should I sit in the scorner's seat,
Or hurl the cynic's ban?
Let me live in my house by the side of the road
And be a friend to man.

***

This was one of my dad’s favorite poems.

And it’s how I remember him . . .

As a friend to man.

***

In Loving Memory

Leslie Lowell Post

February 25, 1930 ~ February 4, 2015

 

2014-05-26 16.04.26

 

I love you, Dad.

10 comments:

  1. Sending you my sweetest prayers for strength, healing and peace. Love you my dear friend. Warmest & sincerest blessings to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A beautiful poem, June. Thank you for sharing a favorite of your father's with us. Lifting you up in prayer, friend. Much love. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your dad was precious! I smile to know that he's dancing with Jesus. ☺ Loving you and your mom from afar, dear friend. 💗

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful and heartfelt. I love the picture that came with it too.

    Your dad's a great man. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. June, last month was the one-year anniversary of my father's passing. It still hurts, a lot. But God has been faithful to comfort my heart, and He will do the same for you.


    I am so sorry to hear of this news, and I know some of what you're feeling. Treasure the memories, they will live on.


    Loved the poem, and it serves as a beautiful tribute to your dad.


    GOD BLESS.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, sweet Beth! Much needed and appreciated! Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's good to see you here, Tammy :) Thank you for your sweet comments, friend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you, Lux, for your sweet comments. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you, friend. Dad lived with me for the last 25 years of his life, and I am very thankful for those times together. I imagine you know a lot of what I'm feeling, and I pray for the Lord to continue to comfort your hear as well. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful poem and tribute to your dad, June. You are indeed blessed and God is still using your dad and his memory to influence your life… what a wonderful legacy of a great man...

    ReplyDelete

If you read something here that inspired you, I’d love to hear about it. Please know I appreciate every comment! Thanks so much for stopping by! Blessings, June