Welcome

Welcome! I'm so glad you stopped by today! If you're inspired by what you see, I invite you to follow along via one (or more) of the options on the side bar below.


Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Inspired by . . . designs in nature

I have a bit of a mish-mash to share with you today. Nature is forever revealing the touch of the Master’s hand. Enjoy.

This little dove blends in so well on trees or on the ground that it is easily overlooked.

 

Inca_Dove

 

The tips of the Inca Dove ‘s feathers appear to be dipped in ink, creating the scaling pattern which serves as it’s camouflage. I’ve never witnessed it personally, but my research revealed that this dove engages in an odd behavior known as “pyramid roosting.” Pairs or groups of Inca Doves may huddle together in the sunshine, with some sitting on the back of the others. The pyramid may be three layers high and include up to 12 birds.

 

Inca_Dove_Close


This is not the best shot, these critters move so fast, but I’d never captured the Golden-fronted Woodpecker head-on before. What a neat pattern!

 

Golden-fronted_woodpecker

 

This squash bug (some call them stink bugs) is a hefty insect. I actually heard him land on my porch. His body reminds me of a certain flying aircraft that is supposed to be undetectable by radar. The tips of his antenna are bright orange. Insects fascinate me, I always take a  “look, don’t touch” approach, but if you wish to pass completely, just scroll down.

 

SquashBug

 

I found this little guy to be quite adorable. Although I suspect I would have received a nasty sting if I’d tried to “pet” him. I think he is a Fall Webworm, but I’m not 100% sure. I just love how he picked his head up to look at the camera {which was being  stuck rudely into his face, lol!}

 

FallWebworm

 

His little, suction-cup-like, feet were fun to watch.

 

FallWebworm_feet

Nest Watch update:

Sadly, the Eastern Phoebe’s have abandoned their nest. Since they had a successful clutch out of the same nest last year, my best guess is that it is cowbird activity that has scared them off. I’m pretty sure one of the eggs, of the two in the nest, is a cowbird egg. {since the Pheobe’s eggs are not speckled - cowbird’s are}

 

Brown-headed_Cowbird

 

A pair of brown-headed cowbirds have been hanging around lately. And, while I love their song, they are not a bird I want around during nesting time. In fact, I think the single egg in the Cardinal nest may be a cowbird egg as well. {both species lay speckled eggs} I recently learned that Cardinals do not usually use a nest site more than once. The lady-bird above probably saw the empty nest and took advantage. You can read more about the problems caused by brown-headed cowbirds, if you’re interested, on the Nestwatch.org site.

So, I am down to two active nests. One I shared with you before, the Scissor-tailed Flycatchers are nesting here again.  You can just barely make out the top of the mama bird’s head in this picture.

 

Nest_Scissortailed_Flycatcher

 

The other active site is a Mockingbird nest. You can see the mamma’s tail sticking out of the nest in the image below. In case you are not familiar with the state bird of Texas, this species has a personality to match it’s home state!

 

Nest_Mockingbird

 

I’m still trying to figure out a way to access these two nests to check for eggs. Since they are at least 10ft off the ground and the branches they are on are not human-weight baring, it’s going to be tricky.  I know what some of you are thinking, “The next time we hear from her, she’ll be in a body-cast.” Let’s hope not.

One final note for the bird lovers out there who also appreciate a good cup of java. I discovered this product source last time I was on the Nest Watch site. {they have no idea I’m mentioning them and I receive no compensation by doing so}

Beansandbirdslogo

It’s a great way to help support wild bird causes. Just click on the logo to learn more.  I haven’t tried the coffee yet, but I’ll give you my review when I do.

I’ll end with a favorite quote from C.S. Lewis:

"It may be hard for an egg to turn into a bird: it would be a jolly sight

harder for it to learn to fly while remaining an egg. We are like eggs

at present. And cannot go on indefinitely being just an ordinary decent

egg. We must be hatched or go bad.”

 

Have a wonder-filled day,

June

 

Sharing inspiration here:

Wild Bird Wednesday
Little by Little

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you read something here that inspired you, I’d love to hear about it. Please know I appreciate every comment! Thanks so much for stopping by! Blessings, June