Welcome

Welcome! I'm so glad you stopped by today! If you're inspired by what you see, I invite you to follow along via one (or more) of the options on the side bar below.


Monday, June 22, 2015

Inspired by . . . stay salty

I use a salt-substitute called Mural of Flavor. It’s a unique blend of seasonings, put together by the folks at Penzey’s Spices, and it’s great on a variety of foods. I use it on my fried chicken, grilled vegetables, even my sandwiches.

While using substitutes works well in cooking, it doesn’t work so well in our Christian life.

 

"You are the salt of the earth, but if salt has lost its taste,

how shall its saltiness be restored?

It is no longer good for anything except to be thrown out

and trampled under people's feet.  Mat 5:13

 

Being trampled doesn’t sound like much fun, does it? But that’s exactly what can happen when we don’t preach the truth. Our integrity, our witness and our faith can easily get trampled underfoot.

 

OrangeSulpher_lantana

 

We live in the information age. Almost everything you’ve ever wanted to know, and a lot of stuff you never wanted to know, is available with just a few clicks. But just because it’s out there, doesn’t mean it’s true. Some of this misinformation is unintentional and harmless. Like the lady at the market the other day who was telling people not to kill the Tomato Hornworm, because it turns into the Hummingbird Moth. It doesn’t. It turns into the five-spotted hawk moth {Manduca quinquemaculata}. The Hummingbird Clearwing {Hemaris thysbe} comes from a similar looking, but different caterpillar, which, incidentally does not feed on tomato plants. I was able to find one website that showed a picture of the hawk moth and claimed it was both the hummingbird moth and a sphinx moth, so I’m not at all surprised at her confusion.

But I digress.

The point is, there is a lot of misinformation out there. Sadly, when it comes to our faith the same can be said for what is preached from some pulpits on Sunday morning, expounded upon in Christian literature and shared in Bible study groups.

While which moth comes from which caterpillar may not matter one wit in the grand scheme of things, our view of God and a right understanding of His word matters a great deal. Not only for eternity, but for living in the here and now.

Jesus is our Lord and Savior, yes. He is our Master, yes. But He is also our friend and brother, fellow heir to the Kingdom of Heaven. The Holy Spirit is our comforter and help. It is the Holy Spirit Who reveals and teaches us the truths about Jesus.

 

OrangeSulpher_lantana1

 

Greater love has no one than this, that someone lay down his life for his friends.

You are My friends if you do what I command you.

No longer do I call you servants,

for the servant does not know what his master is doing;

but I have called you friends,

for all that I have heard from My Father I have made known to you.
Joh 15:13-15

 

But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name,

He will teach you all things and bring to your remembrance all that I have said to you.
Joh 14:26

The Spirit himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God,

and if children, then heirs--heirs of God and fellow heirs with Christ,

provided we suffer with Him in order that we may also be glorified with Him.
Rom 8:16-17

 

So staying salty means being seasoned with the Truth. But how do we know what is Truth? how do we guard against false teachers?

 

"Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep's clothing but inwardly are ravenous wolves.
Mat 7:15

 

The apostle Paul said: “I know that after my departure fierce wolves will come in among you,

not sparing the flock; and from among your own selves will arise men speaking twisted things,

to draw away the disciples after them.”
Act 20:29-30

 

The best way that I know of to know the truth about someone is to get to know them personally. Don’t just take someone else's word for Who God is and what He said. Meet with God yourself, read His Word. Talk to Him. Listen. He longs to be in a personal relationship with you.

After you listen to a sermon, go home and look up the scripture references for yourself. Ask God to give you wisdom and understanding. He will do it!

 

OrangeSulpher_lantana2

 

Behold, I stand at the door and knock.

If anyone hears My voice and opens the door,

I will come in to him and eat with him, and he with Me.
Rev 3:20

 

If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God,

who gives generously to all without reproach, and it will be given him.
Jas 1:5

 

Going Deeper,

Blog_Signature

 

Sharing inspiration here:

#TellHisStory

PlayDatesGod Holly Barrett

Thought-Provoking-Thursday-Button     GraceTruth_Friday

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you read something here that inspired you, I’d love to hear about it. Please know I appreciate every comment! Thanks so much for stopping by! Blessings, June