Welcome

Welcome! I'm so glad you stopped by today! If you're inspired by what you see, I invite you to follow along via one (or more) of the options on the side bar below.


Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Inspired by . . . Day 28: His Name, El Qanna

write31days_button

The LORD Whose Name is Jealous
El Qanna
The Hebrew word is qannâ' [kan-naw'} meaning jealous. It is derived from the word qânâ' {kaw-naw'} meaning:
A primitive root; to be (causatively make) zealous, that is, (in a bad sense) jealous or envious: -  (be) envy (-ious), be (move to, provoke to) jealous (-y), X very, (be) zeal (-ous).
It is in this root word, qânâ', where we can draw a greater understanding, I think, of God’s jealousy.
But first, a bit of background. El Qanna was not on my list of names to share with you for #write31days. But even before the events of the last week, something said several years ago has always bothered me.  Some of you may remember a webcast Oprah did back in 20091, wherein she explained how her enlightened spirituality {her belief in more than one god} was born. She heard a preacher quote from, probably Exodus 20, verse 5:
Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me; Exo 20:5
I don’t know how much of the text was quoted, or what the preacher was saying in context or out of context, but Oprah couldn’t understand how an all-powerful God could be jealous of her. That idea just didn’t work for her and so a new path to spiritual understanding began.
Now I don’t mean to pick on Oprah. She just happens to be someone, whom most of us know, who feels this way. She’s not alone. I’ve heard members of my family, and others say, “Well, if God is {fill in the blank}, that just doesn’t work for me. I’d rather not have a god than serve a god like that.” {etc}
I have to be honest with you, my first reaction to Oprah, my family members, and others who have made these statements is complete astonishment. Number one, it’s hard for me to fathom the {blinding} arrogance that one must have to make such a statement, and number two, especially in Oprah’s case, I’m amazed that someone could get it so wrong!
I hope that statement doesn’t make me sound arrogant or pious, because I’m not. In fact, my second reaction to these people is a deep and penetrating sadness. Because just the fact that they can make such a statement proves that they don’t know God.
And that, Beloved, is why I’m writing this difficult post. Because I want you to know the Truth about God’s jealousy.
He is not jealous OF you, in the way we might be jealous of another’s fame, fortune, or that cute Gucci bag. He is not concerned that we might somehow take His place, rather He is jealous FOR us - -  jealous of other things or people that we put in His {rightful} place in our lives.
Idols aren’t always made of wood and precious metals.
Take heed unto yourselves, lest ye forget the covenant of the LORD your God, which He made with you, and make you a graven image, or the likeness of any thing, which the LORD thy God hath forbidden thee. For the LORD thy God is a consuming fire, even a jealous God. Deu 4:23-24
Sometimes they look like social media, sports, our mate, or a higher rung on the corporate ladder.
God is serious about us, Beloved. He loves us with a consuming, holy fire. Hannah Hurnard writes about this kind of love:
Love is beautiful, but it is also terrible - terrible in it’s determination to allow nothing blemished or unworthy to remain in the beloved.
The closest thing I can relate this to in our lives is the zeal and passion we feel when someone - or something tries to hurt our children, or someone we love. Or how we feel when we see our loved ones doing things we know will hurt them.
I’m 99.999% sure that Oprah will never read these words. I don’t know that it would make a difference if she did. I’m certain that by now someone has explained to her the error of her interpretation. My deepest prayer is that whomever does read these words understands the depth of our Father’s love for us, and the context of His jealousy.
For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord. Rom 8:38-39




 Blessings,


 

Sharing inspiration here:
Playdates with God, Testimony Tuesday, #TellHisStory,
Thought Provoking Thursday, Grace & Truth, Weekend Whispers,
Inspire Me Monday, RaRa Link Up, Intentional Tuesday,
#WordswithWinter, Titus 2 Tuesday, Thoughtful Thursdays,
Encourage Me Monday, Wholehearted Wednesday,
Women with Intention Wednesdays, Word Filled Wednesday,
#GiveMeGrace, Still Saturday, #write31days

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you read something here that inspired you, I’d love to hear about it. Please know I appreciate every comment! Thanks so much for stopping by! Blessings, June