Welcome

Welcome! I'm so glad you stopped by today! If you're inspired by what you see, I invite you to follow along via one (or more) of the options on the side bar below.


Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Inspired by . . . Life thru My Lens 26:52

Although I never tire of the view from my front porch, I'm guessing some of you may be weary of hummingbirds, butterflies, and bees. So this week I'm sharing some photos taken a couple of years ago during a trip that my Dreamer and I took to Asheville, North Carolina.

These photos were taken with my little Kodak point-and-shoot, which meant I had a lot of editing to do. Some of the exposures are still pretty blown, but hopefully, you can ignore that and enjoy the journey.

*** ***
Asheville is a vibrant city surrounded by the Blue Ridge Mountains, and right at its heart sits the 19th-Century Biltmore Estate.



It's a grand house, from a grand time. This marvelous 250-room French Renaissance chateau boasts 35 bedrooms, 43 bathrooms, and 65 fireplaces.

Still owned by the original family, the Vanderbilt's continue to welcome all who visit.

In sorting through my photos, it seems I took pictures of only the left side of the house. It is probably my favorite due to the motion of the windows slanting along the grand staircase.






The view from inside is majestic!




This courtyard seems rather bleak, but I suppose it is left open for grand, outdoor parties.



Notice the beautiful green vines in the picture above? Here is an up close shot of their source. My Dreamer likes to take pictures of me, but what I want you to see in the picture below are the beautiful, gnarly, ancient vines! They must be nearly as old as the estate itself.



There were more vines on the way down to the informal gardens, winding themselves around timeworn concrete columns.



But first, let me give you a taste of the formal gardens, close to the house.





The beauty of the formal and informal gardens can be attributed to landscape architect Frederick Law Olmsted. If you recognize his name it may be because he also designed New York City's, Central Park.

Here is a view of the rose garden which boasts over 250 varieties.



The garden atrium maintains the sense of grandeur prevalent everywhere throughout the estate.



There is something here for everyone.






There is so much more to this estate than can be testified to by a these few photographs. I would love to return with my Canon and spend some time on the grounds during the golden hour.

If you're interested, you can find the estate history here, which will tell you more about the winery, and the village. 

The tickets are a little pricey, but after experiencing the Biltmore first hand, we felt they were well worth the cost. We would definitely visit again.

If you're wondering why there are no pictures of the interior, it is because they are not allowed. But you know me . . .


. . . I prefer to spend my time in the garden.

Blessings,



Sharing inspiration here:
Nature Notes, Through My Lens, Little Things Thursdays,
Bird D’pot, Saturday’s Critters, Life thru the Lens, Wild Bird Wednesday,
Our World Tuesday, Community Global, Photo Friday

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you read something here that inspired you, I’d love to hear about it. Please know I appreciate every comment! Thanks so much for stopping by! Blessings, June