Welcome

Welcome! I'm so glad you stopped by today! If you're inspired by what you see, I invite you to follow along via one (or more) of the options on the side bar below.


Thursday, July 21, 2016

Inspired by . . . Life thru My Lens 29:52

As you might imagine we are full on summer here in south Texas. It.Is.Hot!

Too hot to do much of anything, other than, well, maybe this:




Activity slows down to a crawl with most of it centered around water. Even the terracotta turtle gets a bath. 



Seriously, though, the birds seem to be eating less and bathing more.


Lesser Goldfinch
House Finch (female)

House Finch (Male)


The sweet little Inca doves are back. The range map shows them as year-round visitors but I only see them in the summer. It is likely a food source that brings them around.


Inca Dove blending into her surroundings.
Here's another summer visitor. Although I'm not 100% sure I'm ID-ing her correctly. The photo is cloudy because I was shooting through the window.


Summer Tanager (female)
The mockingbirds have been acting crazier than usual. I'm not sure if it's because they have another nest to defend or if it's because the persimmon fruit has ripened. 


Mockingbird eating persimmon fruit


We have a lot of dragonflies and damselflies this year. But I haven't seen as many butterflies since it's turned hot.




Not much is blooming in this heat, but you can always count on the crepe myrtle to put on a beautiful summer show!



It's not all birds and blooms, though. This baby lizard has been entertaining me for the past few days, and the deer come daily for water. I just have to remember to look before I open the door, so as not to scare them away!



Texas Spiny Lizard
White-tailed Deer
I don't know if the temperature has anything to do with it, but the sunsets have been red hot, too!



Last night I sat out on my porch and watched the night invade the day. The sun lit the moon with her rays even as she relinquished her place in our sky. The earth calmed and breathed a sigh of relief. The moonlight kept the darkest shadows hidden as the birds sang their postlude. Peace descended. Light and airy. Welcoming.

And then they came on silent feet. The does and the little spotted one. They came for water.




And my soul drank with them.
Under the light of the moon.

Blessings,



Sharing inspiration here:
Nature Notes, Through My Lens, Little Things Thursdays,
Bird D’pot, Saturday’s Critters, Life thru the Lens, Wild Bird Wednesday,
Our World Tuesday, Community Global, Photo Friday

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you read something here that inspired you, I’d love to hear about it. Please know I appreciate every comment! Thanks so much for stopping by! Blessings, June