Welcome

Welcome! I'm so glad you stopped by today! If you're inspired by what you see, I invite you to follow along via one (or more) of the options on the side bar below.


Monday, September 7, 2020

Inspired by . . . Expect good from Me





Do you expect great things from God?

"The shaping of the way we choose to think and tend our heart may be the greatest act of cultivation that any of us ever perform. We choose how we think, we choose the framework for our emotions and our actions. That choosing is the elemental act of a Cultivator."
Whether or not you've considered yourself a "cultivator" this word from Lancia Smith is worthy of your consideration.

The more I read her words the more I realize what a radical statement it really is. In a world where everyone wants to blame someone else or something else for their circumstances the idea that "we choose" (and are therefore responsible!) runs counter to our culture.

The world, is a great influencer. Our families, and those in authority who we are taught to trust, can have a deep impact on the shaping of the way we think. That is why the framework is critical.

We choose the framework:

Our Feelings
Public Opinion
Academia
Peer Pressure
Authority Figure
God - The Bible

The framework we choose will also impact how we answer the question posed at the beginning of this post.

Do you expect great things from God?

I've been asking myself, really asking myself, this question ever since Lancia shared the Mueller quote in her introduction to Cultivating last month. I've struggled with the answer because I found that if I answered honestly, I could not unequivocally answer, "YES!" In other words, my "YES!" came with conditions.

I believe God can and does do great things. No issue there. No doubt! But experience has taught me that He often allows less than great things in our lives.

And if your response to that is that I'm missing the point, you're exactly right. And you're a lot farther along in this journey than I.

You see, experience is one of those things that shapes our thinking. Sadly, for many of us, experience has taught us not to expect great things from God. At least, not for ourselves.

Even when we have the right framework in place, i.e. The Bible, we can still get mixed up in our thinking.

The key is which side of the frame we choose to stand on.

Do we view our experiences through the Truths of the Bible or do we view the Bible through our experiences?

5Trust in the Lord with all your heart,
And lean not on your own understanding;
6In all your ways acknowledge Him,
And He shall direct your paths.

Ironically, for someone who tends to see the glass have full, I can be very cynical at times. I have to constantly redirect my weight from leaning on my own wisdom (and sometimes that of others) to leaning on the Lord. To trust Him, wait on Him, believe His promises. To acknowledge His right-ness in all things. Even when they don't make sense.

Our experiences are vastly one-sided and can quickly skew our perception.

The truth is, God saved us and gave us a purpose [in Christ Jesus] before time began. (2Tim 1:9)

Before time began. Did you catch that?

This is not a God capable of doing less than great things!

My experiences have blinded me to reality. They have blinded me to the Truth!

Maybe some of your experiences have done the same. Maybe even now your circumstances are blinding you to the Truth about God.

It's imperative that we view our circumstances and experiences through the framework of God's word. Only God is the same yesterday, today, and forever. Everything else changes. Everything. He alone remains steadfast and true.

He alone remains faithful to His promises.

From Him we can, and should, expect great things!

Shalom,













































No comments:

Post a Comment

If you read something here that inspired you, I’d love to hear about it. Please know I appreciate every comment! Thanks so much for stopping by! Blessings, June