Welcome

Welcome! I'm so glad you stopped by today! If you're inspired by what you see, I invite you to follow along via one (or more) of the options on the side bar below.


Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Inspired by... tomatoes

 

Since much of the country is experiencing the bounty of the land right now, I thought I'd share with you one of my favorite lunches.

Mom and dad called it an Open Face Sandwich and I can distinctly remember the smell of the oregano and melting cheddar cheese (Vermont cheddar, mind you) wafting through our old country kitchen. I love me some oregano!

 

Oregano_Open_Face

Granted there are many versions of the classic Open Face, and back on the farm mom and dad sure didn't put avocado on theirs!  But I love me some avocado! So here's my version and how I make it:

 

June's T.A.C.O. Sandwich

Ingredients:

2 slices of bread, your choice, I use Oatnut (usually)

tomato slices, enough to cover the bread

1/2 avocado, sliced

4-6 slices of white cheddar cheese (preferably Vermont Cheddar)

fresh oregano, chopped (dried will work too)

mayo

Penzey's Sandwich Sprinkle (or a no-salt alternative)

Directions: Lightly toast your bread. While the bread is toasting you can prepare your other ingredients. Remove bread from toaster and lightly cover with mayo. Lightly sprinkle with Penzey's Sandwich Sprinkle. Add tomato slices, then avocado, then cheese. Sprinkle a good dose of oregano on top of the cheese.

Ready for the broiler!

 

Ready_For_Broiler

Watch carefully!!! (as you clean up the kitchen)  I broil until the cheese melts and starts to bubble. Sometimes I let it start to brown... depends upon how hungry I am!

 

Open_Face_Tomato

Remove from broiler and enjoy!! 

 

Do you have a favorite Open Face Sandwich?

or a childhood "food" memory you'd like share?

I'd love to hear from you!

 

Blessings,

Blog_Signature

 

Sharing inspiration here:

Tidy Mom

2 comments:

  1. Guess what June? I'm inspired by . . . YOU! I just wish we were neighbors so I could pop over & say, "What's cookin' good lookin'?". It's my pleasure to feature another of your awesome creations in my Fab Friday Favorites post tonight. You rock!

    Warmly, Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. UPDATE: We had these for dinner last night & I thought I'd died & gone to heaven. So simple, but SO good. Thanks for the great idea!

    Warmly, Michelle

    ReplyDelete

If you read something here that inspired you, I’d love to hear about it. Please know I appreciate every comment! Thanks so much for stopping by! Blessings, June