Welcome

Welcome! I'm so glad you stopped by today! If you're inspired by what you see, I invite you to follow along via one (or more) of the options on the side bar below.


Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Inspired by . . . Phoebe

 

You don't need an alarm clock when you have a family of Eastern Pheobe's living behind your house!

 

Eastern_Phoebe

 

Their raspy "phoebe" call sounds a bit like a dog's squeaky toy, and their favorite perching fence is right outside my bedroom window! When I noticed a pair of these flycatchers hanging around our yard in early spring of this year, I hoped they would decide to raise their family here.

 

Eastern_Phoebe_Profile

 

These highly-active birds don't sit still for long, but they do keep returning to the same perch time and again. This makes them relatively easy to photograph.

 

Eastern_Phoebe_Insect

 

You won't find these insect-eaters at your bird feeders, but they may use the top of your shepherd's hook at a look out. They prefer semi-open areas where they can easily see and catch insects. These aerial wonders can stop mid-air and change direction in seconds. They are very entertaining to watch!

This pair built a nest under the back eave of our house and had one hatchling. The adorable little grey ball of fuzz used to come visit me on the front porch when he was learning to fly – He's a little camera shy, but I'm hoping to catch up with him soon!

 

Eastern_Phoebe2

 

I'm currently reading Beth Moore's book, To Live Is Christ, in which she follows Paul's journey of faith. In the first few chapters, Beth gives us a picture of what Saul's {Paul} childhood was probably like. He was the son of a Pharisee, and raised according to the strict Jewish law. By the time he was ten he knew the intricacies of the oral law. By the time he was thirteen he would have been practicing the associated rituals of that law. After describing some of the rituals, which began before sunrise, Beth states: "A thirteen year old boy could not get out of bed in the morning without remembering to whom he belonged."

 

There are times that I need to be reminded to whom I belong.

Don't worry, I don't plan to start strapping phylacteries on my head and arms anytime soon. That would be silly. But Beth's statement made me think about my first thoughts every morning.

I thought of the Phoebe calling to her mate.

And I remembered to Whom I belong.

 

Blessings,

Blog_Signature

 

 

 

Sharing inspiration here:

Wild Bird Wednesday – Stewart's 100th!!

 


19 comments:

  1. Pretty shots of the Phoebe! I love to hear their sounds.. Have a happy week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. so very sweet! fee BEE! FEE bee... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. June ... award winning images these are!

    ;-}

    ReplyDelete
  4. What clear, detailed images! I love your comments about thinking about who you belong to. Beth Moore's Bible studies always inspire and challenge me. I haven't read the book you mention -- but I'd like to!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are the sweetest little birds. They winter in our area and I look forward to them each year. You captured their sweetness so well. It's always enjoyable (and uplifting) to see how you weave scripture into your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. In Italy we haven't these lovely little birds, you know, we have different plants and animals, but to be honest birds are all so beautiful and tender, they look so sweet and helpless .. I wonder how could you capture these lovely creature so near, in these stunning photographs !
    Thank you my dear friend, for your always surprising posts !
    Sending much love
    Dany

    ReplyDelete
  7. HI June these are wonderful shots of these lovely birds. Yes sometimes we need a reminder of whom we belong to and as I live onmy own, the first person I usually say good morning to is out Lord.

    ReplyDelete
  8. thank you for linking in this sweetie! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great snaps of some very cute birds...:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful close-ups. I like this take on fences.
    Rinda

    ReplyDelete
  11. Really beautiful post! So thoughtful...with wonderful photos! I hope you finally capture the little fledeling too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. the phoebe is a gorgeous little bird. I was happy to see it when I visted Costa Rica.

    http://nfbird.blogspot.se/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great close ups!! Boom, Bobbi, and Gary.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gorgeous photos...I especially love the last one! I don't have any of these birds in my yard in Ohio...so fun to see yours!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I could definitely wake up to this kind of alarm!! Sweet, beautiful images!!!

    Thanks for linking up this weekend at the Bird D'Pot!! All the birders appreciate your participation.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great shots. One of the old names for kookaburra was "bush mans clock" for the same reason as your bird.

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a cute little bird. Best alarm clock ever!

    ReplyDelete
  18. These are really good. I almost had an opportunity to bird-shoot... but they flew away before I could capture them.

    ReplyDelete

If you read something here that inspired you, I’d love to hear about it. Please know I appreciate every comment! Thanks so much for stopping by! Blessings, June