Welcome

Welcome! I'm so glad you stopped by today! If you're inspired by what you see, I invite you to follow along via one (or more) of the options on the side bar below.


Monday, August 11, 2014

Inspired by . . . becoming a gecko

 

There is a gecko in my house.

This is a terrible thing.

Not because I’m afraid of geckos. Although, I am concerned that he could hide somewhere {like the bed} and I might squish him accidently {shudder}. That would be awful. For both of us.

I’m rather fond of geckos, and this one will most likely die in my house because he will not listen to me and GO OUTSIDE where he can live the life he was intended to live.

 

Gecko_Stylized

 

This evening when I got home and flipped on the light I saw him scurry into a darkened corner and I wished, for just a moment, that I could become a gecko. I don’t think I would like walking around with suction cups on my feet, but at least I would be able to talk gecko talk, and convince the little guy that if he stays where he is HE WILL DIE.

Those ‘become a gecko’  thoughts reminded me of a story that I heard many years ago.

 

Gecko_Beaded

 

It was a story about a guy who had stayed home from church on Christmas Eve because he just couldn’t believe in a God Who would be born a man. It just didn’t make sense to him. If God was God why would He do such a ridiculous thing as to become a man. The guy just didn’t buy it and refused to be a hypocrite by going to the Christmas Eve service with his family.

As he is sitting at home, watching out the window for his family to return from the service, he sees two little doves huddled together in the tree outside his window. The man knows that the temperatures are supposed to fall well below freezing that night and he is suddenly afraid that the birds will die in the cold. He comes up with the brilliant idea to open his garage door and shoo the birds inside for the night.

Of course you know where this story is going. The doves are terrified of him and the man has the same thought of becoming a dove that I had about the gecko. If only he could make them understand that he’s trying to save them . . . And with that thought, he suddenly gets it.

He gets why God came down to dwell among us.

So why did Jesus come?

 

You may have noticed that peace is not on the list. Do you find that odd? While it is true that Jesus IS peace, and He GIVES us peace, He did not claim to BRING peace. Quite the opposite, actually.

Confusing, isn’t it? Perhaps the gecko can help us understand.

 

Gecko_Craquelure

 

I’m sorry I don’t have any pictures of real geckos to share with you. The little guy is just too timid for me to capture with my camera. His little mind can’t really comprehend much about this larger than life creature who is pursuing him. And what he does think about me is probably incorrect or, at best, incomplete.

 

"My thoughts," says the LORD, "are not like yours, and My ways are different from yours. Isaiah 55:8

 

I’ll keep praying that the little gecko will find his way back outside.

In the meantime, I’ll tread softly and keep an open mind.

 

Shalom,

Blog_Signature

 

Notes:

The story - If anyone knows the origin of the Christmas Eve story, please let me know. I was not able to find it.

The images – original artwork scanned and then various filters were applied in PSC. Very fun.

 

Sharing inspiration here:

PlayDatesGod   Thought-Provoking-Thursday-Button

TestimonyTuesdayLinkUp

6 comments:

  1. His creation gives you yet one more life lesson to share with us, June, an important truth to glean, to sit with, to savor.

    But I want to do that alone. Without the gecko lurking in the shadows.

    Adios, little pal ...

    ;-}

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have often thought of the same things. The chipmunks and deer around here always scurry away when they see my husband or me come close. I want to tell them, "Don't be afraid. I'm a friend." And I always think about the incredible humility and love of a Savior who would deem to become a human so He could save us.

    Can't you hear Him saying the same thing? "Don't be afraid. I'm a Friend."

    GOD BLESS!

    (C'mon Mr. Gecko - outside is where you're meant to be!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope your gecko is now back outside where he belongs! :) I wouldn't like him in the house either. But a great analogy you make. When we have those sparks of understanding that Jesus came to save us from ourselves, we welcome him. Your words about peace are clarifying; I hadn't thought of it quite that way. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Praying your little Gecko finds his way back outdoors. Such a visitor would freak me out a bit. Loved the message he gave you to share with us though. Thanks, friend. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. How delightful to visit your blog again this week. We used to live in Okinawa, and we had a family of geckos that shared the house with us. They were our first greeters when we moved in and were the last to say goodbye when we left. They were a constant source of entertainment for our dogs:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. How often we are tempted to scurry off into the dark corners as well, rather than living in the Light of Jesus. Love this reminder to live in the life Jesus gives. Thanks for linking up to Testimony Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete

If you read something here that inspired you, I’d love to hear about it. Please know I appreciate every comment! Thanks so much for stopping by! Blessings, June