Welcome

Welcome! I'm so glad you stopped by today! If you're inspired by what you see, I invite you to follow along via one (or more) of the options on the side bar below.


Thursday, March 19, 2015

Inspired by . . . always near the cross: obedience

Continuing the series.

Love

Humility

Sacrifice

Obedience

Submission

Faith

Trust

 

I often ask myself, “Have I done one single thing today because He told me to do it?”

I’m ashamed to say the answer is more often no, than yes. We have all sorts of reasons for doing the things that we do, even the good things, but how often does our motivation come from obedience to His word - from a simply desire to please Him - to obey His command?

 

MacDonald_Quote

 

Knowing what God wants us to do is not hard. He has not kept His will a secret. He has carefully preserved not only His precepts, but the very words uttered from our Savior’s mouth!

 

The LORD has told us what is good.

What He requires of us is this: to do what is just,

to show constant love,

and to live in humble fellowship with our God. Mic 6:8

WWJD?

Open your Bible and therein you shall find the answer!

The law of the LORD is perfect; it gives new strength.

The commands of the LORD are trustworthy, giving wisdom to those who lack it.

The laws of the LORD are right, and those who obey them are happy.

The commands of the LORD are just and give understanding to the mind. Psa 19:7-8

 

Not only do we have His word, but as believers we have the Holy Spirit. A counselor to guide us and make clear the things of God.

 

We have not received this world's spirit; instead,

we have received the Spirit sent by God,

so that we may know all that God has given us. 1Co 2:12

 

 

The cross offends the disobedient. They do not desire it’s favor or acceptance. They scoff and turn away.

 

So then, if we do not do the good we know we should do, we are guilty of sin. Jas 4:17

 

When presented with a choice, it is almost always easier not to obey. So how can we guard against this temptation?

 

How can young people keep their lives pure?

By obeying Your commands. With all my heart I try to serve You;

keep me from disobeying Your commandments.

I keep your law in my heart, so that I will not sin against You. Psa 119:9-11


 

God gives us everything we need to obey - and grace when we fail.

 

Examine me, O God, and know my mind; test me, and discover my thoughts.

Find out if there is any evil in me and guide me in the everlasting way. Psa 139:23-24

 

Our desire to obey is like a fragrant oil, like the dew of Mt. Hermon falling on the ground beneath the cross.

 

Window_textured

 

  Forgive me, most gracious Lord and Father, if this day I have done or said anything to increase the pain of the world.

Pardon the unkind word, the impatient gesture, the hard and selfish deed, the failure to show sympathy and

kindly help where I had the opportunity, but missed it; and enable me so to live that I may daily

do something to lessen the tide of human sorrow and add to the sum of human happiness.

Prayer to Do Good ~ F.B. Meyer England, 1847-1929

 

Blessings,

June

 

 

Sharing inspiration here:

#GiveMeGrace

Thought-Provoking-Thursday-Button

Renewed Daily - Recommendation Saturday Sandra Heska King - Still Saturday

11 comments:

  1. "God gives us everything we need to obey - and grace when we fail." This post is just so good, June. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. You got me from the first question:
    “Have I done one single thing today because He told me to do it?”

    Thought-provoking post, June. May I be aware of what he's asking and be quick to respond.

    ReplyDelete
  3. June, thank you so much for sharing this. These are essential questions we must ask ourselves as followers of Jesus. Blessed by your words of wisdom here today. -Abby (visiting from Weekend Brew)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Obedience! Shouldn't be so difficult but one second later we could totally go the wrong direction when we choose to follow our own instincts rather than God. I love these words - "God gives us everything we need to obey and grace when we fail". So true and so easy-right??? Blessed as always that you share your heart at The Weekend Brew.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amen, Lisa! Being aware of what He's asking is half the battle. Always a pleasure to see you here, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much for stopping by, Abby! Your renewal series looks great, I need to dig in!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, boy! "our own instincts" they seem so right sometimes, don't they Mary! Praise the Lord for His grace and mercy! Your comments always encourage me, Mary, thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. His Word, His Spirit, wise counsel from the family of God. He's given us everything for life and godliness.


    Now? To trust. And obey. And thank Him for faithful friends like you who point the way back to His wise heart.


    I hope that Sabbath rest has filled your weekend, June ... blessings as we head off into another week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you, my friend. I wish you the very same!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely thoughts, scriptures and prayer on obedience. Softens my heart...

    ReplyDelete

If you read something here that inspired you, I’d love to hear about it. Please know I appreciate every comment! Thanks so much for stopping by! Blessings, June