Welcome

Welcome! I'm so glad you stopped by today! If you're inspired by what you see, I invite you to follow along via one (or more) of the options on the side bar below.


Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Inspired by . . . travelers by air

So far the Fall 2015 migration has been an exciting event around here!  There has been so much going on, it’s a wonder I can keep myself inside and away from the windows!

Okay, well, maybe I can’t . . .

If you follow me on Instagram {please do!} you will know that the ruby-throated hummingbirds have arrived in force . . . literally! They blew in with the rainstorm we had last Thursday and, to my delight, have decided to stay around for a few days! I can’t seem to stop taking pictures of them, an intervention may be in order . . . .

I’ll share just one photo with you today, because as much as I love my hummers they are not the most exciting occurrence in my yard this week.

 

Ruby-throated_Hummingbirds6

 

In fact, I saw two new to me birds this week. One is common to Texas, but not abundant, and now that I know what to look for I’m sure I’ll be seeing his cuteness again, and the other is a migratory traveler.

It’s the traveler whom I’m going to share with you today.

I “just happened” to look up from my work and noticed two yellowish/orange-ish, medium-size birds at the birdbath. Larger than my beloved finches, at first I thought they were the Kingbirds that I shared about previously. Sneaking down the stairs, I grabbed my camera and zoomed in on them through the window. Definitely not Kingbirds.

 

Baltimore_Oriole_Pair

 

Baltimore_Oriole_Immature

 

Baltimore_Oriole_Immature2

 

Baltimore_Oriole_Female

 

I really had no idea what they were, so proceeded to take pictures with the thought of identifying them later, when suddenly . . .

 

Baltimore_Oriole_Male2

“Hello, handsome!”

I nearly dropped the camera! I can’t tell you how long I’ve wished to see a Baltimore Oriole, in real life!

 

Baltimore_Oriole_Male

 

They come through Texas only twice a year during the spring and fall migration. From everything I’ve read, if you can get some jelly or oranges out BEFORE they fly through, you have a CHANCE of one visiting your backyard. In the past I’ve always put my sweets out too late. And this year, I never even put them out at all!

 

Baltimore_Oriole_Male_SideView

 

This visit, I think, is a blessing of the drought.

I know one thing for sure . . .

 

Baltimore_Oriole_Male_Splash

 

. . . it was a blessing!

 

What are you seeing through your lens this week?

 

Have a wonder-filled day,

Blog_Signature

 

Sharing inspiration here:

Life Thru the Lens at Lisa Kerner-Simply Living Photography   Wild Bird Wednesday

NatureNotes   Our_World_Tuesday

Little by Little
P52 Sweet Shot Tuesday with Kent Weakley

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you read something here that inspired you, I’d love to hear about it. Please know I appreciate every comment! Thanks so much for stopping by! Blessings, June