Welcome

Welcome! I'm so glad you stopped by today! If you're inspired by what you see, I invite you to follow along via one (or more) of the options on the side bar below.


Monday, September 21, 2015

Inspired by . . . who should bury the dead

 

To another He said, "Follow me." But he said, "Lord, let me first go and bury my father."

And Jesus said to him, "Leave the dead to bury their own dead.

But as for you, go and proclaim the kingdom of God." Luke 9:59-60

 

 

A hard teaching, is it not?

The words come to me as I stand crying over a batch of homemade brownies. I’m not crying over the brownies. Dad’s wooden spoon, worn to a silky sheen in spots from years of use, rests in my right hand. I forgot to shell the pecans . . . again. Dad always shelled the pecans for me.

 

pecans2

***

Let us not think of Jesus as being harsh or disrespectful here. Scripture clearly teaches we are to honor our father and mother and be devoted at home. One of Jesus’ last acts before He died was to take care of His mother. {see John 19:25-27}

Jesus is reminding us of our human tendency to put worldly things first.  not if, but when God calls us to something, we should take care that we do not allow the affairs of this world to entangle us and so prevent us from obeying His call.

 

No soldier gets entangled in civilian pursuits,

since his aim is to please the One who enlisted him. 2Ti 2:4

 

There are some who care more for the dead than they do for the living.  Grief and regret can be dangerous bedfellows.

While I don’t think I am guilty of this with respect to my grief and my dad’s memory, I would be foolish not to examine all areas of my life in the revealing light of these scriptures.

 

All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching,

for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness,

that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work. 2Ti 3:16-17


***

For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword,

piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow,

and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart. Heb 4:12

 

pecans1

 

Yes, there is some piercing here. His breath, breathed out over my soul reveals places that have not been surrendered to Him. Is this not so with all of us?

Jesus says, “Follow Me.” and there are times I still say, “But, Lord.” instead of “Yes, Lord.”

But then He turns to get into the boat {Matt 8:23} and all my excuses turn to dust at the prospect of His departure.

You see, God’s will and word will be accomplished whether or not I obey. Jesus doesn’t need us to accomplish His will. He chooses us, invites us, to be a part of His story. He delights in blessing others through us and blessing us through others.

Because of His gift of free will we can choose to obey Him when He calls . . . or not.

 

As it is said, "Today, if you hear his voice,

do not harden your hearts as in the rebellion." Heb 3:15

 

pecans3

 

So today, when He calls, which will we choose?

To bury the dead, or get in the boat?

 

Blessings,

Blog_Signature

 

Sharing inspiration here:

PlayDatesGod Holly Barrett

     Thought-Provoking-Thursday-Button

GraceTruth_Friday Barbie Swihart

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you read something here that inspired you, I’d love to hear about it. Please know I appreciate every comment! Thanks so much for stopping by! Blessings, June