Welcome

Welcome! I'm so glad you stopped by today! If you're inspired by what you see, I invite you to follow along via one (or more) of the options on the side bar below.


Thursday, September 29, 2016

Inspired by . . . dust to dust

The only way this day could have been more perfect were if it had not been necessary at all. God sent His sun to warm the damp coolness of the morning as we gathered on a hillside, surrounded by His splendor. The rolling hills, still deeply green gave way to lakes and valleys nestled just out of sight.



Dad had been home with his Father for almost two years but this was the day his earthly remains were finally laid to rest in the place he loved most: the historic town of Peacham, Vermont.

The comfort of friends and family surrounded us as we watched the military honors being played out with precise precision. I wept at the way the soldier caressed the flag and held it to his breast.

Surely that was a picture of how Jesus received my dad into His bosom.



Pastor Lee read words that honored my dad's life and then words that honored the One Who had sustained that life. 

Watching my brother, dressed in his perfectly creased Army blues, kneel and place Dad's urn into the ground is a memory forever seared on my mind.

It service was beautiful and I know that Dad would have been pleased.



The ladies of Peacham out did themselves with the luncheon they provided after the service. As delicious as everything was, it was a bittersweet affair for me. If Dad had been alive we would have been feasting on homemade pies (coconut custard was my favorite) and the sandwich bread would have been made by his hands. I had asked the ladies for pies but "no one makes pies anymore."



At least, not like Dad's.



Looking back, I should have been more organized and asked people to share their memories of Dad as we gathered together. But I was numb from the service and not thinking clearly.



Little did I know that the emotions of the day were far from over. But I'll share about that in another post.

If you're interested, you can find the words that Pastor Lee read at the service, on my behalf, on Dad's blog: A Random Post

The day was about honoring my dad, Leslie L. Post, and I think we did it well. But it wasn't my dad who needed comfort on this day, it was me. God never fails us. Despite overnight lows in the 30's and highs in the low 50's during the service this beauty made his presence known. 



God knows my love language. Now and forevermore seeing these winged beauties will transport me back to a hillside in the country where Dad's memory rests at peace.





Blessings,


Sharing inspiration here:
Through My Lens, Life thru the Lens
Small WondersTestimony Tuesday, #TellHisStory,
Thought Provoking Thursday, Grace & Truth,
Inspire Me Monday, RaRa Link Up, Intentional Tuesday,
#WordswithWinter, Titus 2 Tuesday, Thoughtful Thursdays,
Encourage Me Monday, Wholehearted Wednesday,
Women with Intention Wednesdays, Word Filled Wednesday,
#GiveMeGrace, Sitting Among Friends, #Glimpsesofhisbeauty

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you read something here that inspired you, I’d love to hear about it. Please know I appreciate every comment! Thanks so much for stopping by! Blessings, June