Welcome

Welcome! I'm so glad you stopped by today! If you're inspired by what you see, I invite you to follow along via one (or more) of the options on the side bar below.


Monday, January 18, 2021








One thing I love about crisp winter mornings is lying in my bed under 3lbs of blankets, snuggling deep into the coziness. At the hour I get up, the room is cold and the struggle to leave the warmth behind is real. This time of year, I grab my clothes and head upstairs to the loft where the air is warm.

This is also our "TV room" and, unless my husband is in the room, the screen is usually dark and silent. But lately, I've discovered dishscapes, which is a "relaxing channel with ambient noise that can be enjoyed while you're doing something else." This month is a gorgeous scene straight out of the South Pacific. So as I dress for the day, I enjoy listening to the sound of the waves and keep a sharp eye out for any surprise activity on screen.

This morning, my husband had left the TV on one of the automotive channels. After punching in what I thought were the dishscape channel numbers I looked up to see "Showcase XXX" on the screen. Thankfully, these types of channels require a subscription, so there was no visual content, but it still had me scrambling for the remote. In my defense, I was operating pre-coffee and without my glasses!

With the cadence of the waves in my ears and the sun rising over a tropical landscape, I sat back with relief. 

Friends, this is how closely the enemy prowls. What happened this morning made me think about how easily we can step into sin. It's not just our TV and our computer screens. Often it is our thoughts and our mouth which cause us to sin. 

James tells us, "From the same mouth come blessing and cursing. My brothers, these things ought not to be so."  Don't be fooled into thinking that you get a pass for thinking it but not saying it out loud. The thoughts we harbor are just as important, for Jesus said, "But I say to you that everyone who is angry with his brother will be liable to judgment; whoever insults his brother will be liable to the council; and whoever says, 'You fool!' will be liable to the hell of fire."

While coffee and wearing my glasses may prevent a misstep with the TV remote, the only cure for sinful thoughts and an unbridled tongue is Jesus Christ.

"Weak and human we may be," declares Paul in 2 Corinthians, but, "We destroy arguments and every lofty opinion raised against the knowledge of God, and take every thought captive to obey Christ, being ready to punish every disobedience, when your obedience is complete."

Left to our flesh, we can easily convince ourselves that we are in the right and that our actions are justified. This is why it is critical that we are walking in the Spirit of God. (I posted about this last week; links at the bottom) 

Sadly, a lot of the nastiness out there is coming from Christians who haven't properly identified the enemy. It is critical that we correctly identify who our enemy is and that we are properly outfitted to stand against him. 

To that end, find your Bible. Sit down, open it, and read and meditate on Ephesians 6. Even if you are familiar with this passage, time spent with Him is never wasted. And you never know how He may choose to clean our hearts and renew our spirits. (Psalm 51)

Shalom,



Thoughts about walking in the Spirit of God:

BTW: the whales show up at sunrise


No comments:

Post a Comment

If you read something here that inspired you, I’d love to hear about it. Please know I appreciate every comment! Thanks so much for stopping by! Blessings, June