Welcome

Welcome! I'm so glad you stopped by today! If you're inspired by what you see, I invite you to follow along via one (or more) of the options on the side bar below.


Saturday, January 23, 2021

Inspired by . . . the revealing



"Then Abraham reached out his hand and took the knife to slaughter his son. But the angel of the Lord called to him from heaven and said, “Abraham, Abraham!” And he said, “Here I am.” He said, “Do not lay your hand on the boy or do anything to him, for now I know that you fear God, seeing you have not withheld your son, your only son, from Me.” Genesis 22:10‭-‬12 ESV

Most of you are familiar with this account of Abraham and his son Isaac. What struck me anew as I was reading this word today was verse 12. "... now I know that you fear God, seeing you have not withheld your son, your only son, from Me.”

"Now I know?" But of course, God already knew that Abraham feared Him. He knew before the beginning of time before Abraham was even formed in the womb what Abraham would do at that moment. So why the drama?

I believe God did this for two reasons; first to confirm Abraham's statement of faith "God will provide Himself a lamb" (v.8) and to reveal His glory by providing the sacrifice - a foreshadowing of Christ. Secondly, so that Abraham himself would know that he feared God.


Few, if any, of us truly know how we are going to act when brought to a pivotal point, as Abraham was in this text. The trials we face don't make us who we are, they reveal who we are. Sometimes they reveal good things, like with Abraham, but sometimes they reveal things about us that we need to change. I shared yesterday about a pivotal point in my spiritual life that was revealing. I learned that my faith wasn't as strong as I thought it was.

In these revealing situations, we have a choice. God always gives us a choice.

We can blame and be defensive or we can move . . . toward God.

"Nearness to God brings likeness to God. The more you see God the more of God will be seen in you." C.H. Spurgeon

Since that time, which has been several years ago now, I haven't stopped praying, "Lord, increase my faith." It is my constant prayer. In every situation, I try to respond in faith - in a way that brings me closer to Him.

"And without faith it is impossible to please Him, for whoever would draw near to God must believe that He exists and that He rewards those who seek Him." (Heb 11:6)

Are you currently experiencing a "revealing" situation? A fiery trial that is burning away the dross to reveal the real you? What is it that God wants you to know about yourself? and what are you going to do about it?

Keep in mind that God doesn't bring us to this place because He is some sort of self-help guru. His refining and revealing in our lives has a purpose. A higher purpose. We are instruments of His in the workings of His kingdom.

Remember also that this is a process . . . a becoming.

"For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I have been fully known." (1Co 13:12)

Each day, each hour, keep choosing to move toward God.


Shalom.












No comments:

Post a Comment

If you read something here that inspired you, I’d love to hear about it. Please know I appreciate every comment! Thanks so much for stopping by! Blessings, June