Welcome

Welcome! I'm so glad you stopped by today! If you're inspired by what you see, I invite you to follow along via one (or more) of the options on the side bar below.


Thursday, October 6, 2016

Inspired by . . . what's your idol ?


The black Ford rolled up, blocking my view. "Why does he have to park there, anyway?" I grumbled under my breath. "Like I really want to look at that while I'm doing my morning devotions? Not exactly the serene, peaceful setting I was hoping for." I continued grumbling to myself.

I sat down, opened my bible and tried to ignore the black elephant in my dooryard. Funny, how being in the Word softens our spirit and brings clarity.

"He's been parking there for years," I chided myself, "He's not doing it to irritate you."

The engine roared and the truck rolled away leaving a view of trees and rolling hills in its wake. Ah, the peaceful setting for which I had been hoping!



Moments later my phone chimed with the First 5 app.

"God does not tolerate divided affection."  ~Whitney Capps

The topic this morning is No Place for Idols, Deuteronomy 7:5-6

For us, it's probably not about worshipping images of other gods. Idol worship today is much more subtle and just as dangerous as it was back then. Ask yourself, is there anything in my life that I desire more than God, or even desire as much as I desire God? 

As I prayed for God to help me identify the idols in my own life a deep conviction settled over my soul.

Have I made peace an idol? Is having peace in my life more important to me than God?

"Of course not!" was my immediate response. The natural urge is to brush these convictions away. Shrug them off. Ignore them.

But what if it were true?

I value peace. I seek it. Mostly I seek it through Him. And this is good. But remembering my response to the black Ford made me wonder - Am I seeking peace above seeking Him?
But Martha was distracted with much serving. And she went up to Him and said, "Lord, do You not care that my sister has left me to serve alone? Tell her then to help me." But the Lord answered her, "Martha, Martha, you are anxious and troubled about many things, but one thing is necessary. Mary has chosen the good portion, which will not be taken away from her." (Luk 10:40-42)
What is my response when I don't get the peace I seek? Am I fretting over many things, instead of first sitting at His feet?  Have I forgotten that He will give me a peace that surpasses all understanding even when - - maybe especially when - - my world is in chaos?
...do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. (Php 4:6-7)

Lord, help us to identify the idols in our lives. Give us the will and the strength to bravely destroy them, rather than ignore them. May we first seek Your face, knowing that only when we have clothed ourselves with Your righteousness can we face the battles of this life. In Jesus name, Amen.


Shalom,

Sharing inspiration here:
Small WondersTestimony Tuesday, #TellHisStory,
Thought Provoking Thursday, Grace & Truth,
Inspire Me Monday, RaRa Link Up, Intentional Tuesday,
#WordswithWinter, Titus 2 Tuesday, Thoughtful Thursdays,
Encourage Me Monday, Wholehearted Wednesday,
Women with Intention Wednesdays, Word Filled Wednesday,
#GiveMeGrace, Sitting Among Friends, #Glimpsesofhisbeauty

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you read something here that inspired you, I’d love to hear about it. Please know I appreciate every comment! Thanks so much for stopping by! Blessings, June